2021 Tenth Annual
Code :: Design :: Worship Jesus :: Pray :: Have Fun :: Meet Missionaries :: Learn
Our Tenth Annual Spring Break Code-a-Thon for Missions is coming up in 2021! Code-a-Thon is a time where Christian software developers, designers, project managers, and tech writers can gather for coding, fellowship, prayer, worship, learning about missions, and fun. We'll look forward to seeing you at our virtual weekend events this spring or at LightSys in beautiful Colorado Springs, Colorado this coming May!
Interested in joining us for a weekend (Friday evening through Saturday night) March event or weeklong in-person mid-May event? Fill out our inquiry form to let us know what dates work for you, and we'll get you information!
- What will the weekend events look like? Our Code-a-Thon Ideation events will happen virtually on a weekend from Friday evening to Saturday evening. The focus will be on brainstorming, ideation, and prototyping based on real-world missions needs. Experienced mentors will guide you through the process. Then, Lord willing, we’ll be having a regular in-person Code-a-Thon in May, so you can implement the great project plans developed during the weekend Ideations!
- How do I get involved? Fill out our inquiry form so we can get details to you, and then start recruiting your friends to join you!
- I'm interested in coming! Get a team (or teams) together! We recommend coming as a group of at least three people, but individuals and those in smaller groups are welcome and we'll likely join such groups with other groups when forming teams.
- Is this open to non-programmers? Yes! We need graphics designers, project managers, and tech writers, to be a part of the event, too, but we specifically do need programmers on all of the project teams.
- Will I have time to go skiing or hiking? Yes (weather permitting)! We give one day off during the week for you to go have fun outdoors.
- Will LightSys have Code-a-Thon during my Spring Break week? We will not be holding any weeklong events during March this year, but we hope to offer 2-3 weekend events in January and March, and a weeklong event in mid-May.
- I'm not sure I'm experienced enough in programming (or a related field) yet. We'll have professional software developers who help us review our project proposals, and many of them are willing to help you better understand the design, scope, and nuances, of your project.
- Is this a Hackathon? Yes! We just use the term Code-a-Thon so that your non-tech friends and family can better understand the name of the event (i.e., we're not unlawfully breaking into computers!), though just between us, yes you can call it a Hackathon. :) It does, however, differ from a traditional hackathon by having a different schedule and timbre, with a spiritually immersive environment and a longer schedule that provides about 35 hours of actual programming time.
- What's the Cost? Code-a-Thon is free, except that we do request that you raise some support for in-person events so that you can be a part. If you're covering your own transportation costs, tentatively this will be $70 per person, or $160 per person if we're reimbursing part of your airfare or all of your gasoline receipts. Donors can send support to LightSys, for the Code-a-Thon fund, and donations are tax-deductible. You also may want to have some spending money to do fun things on your day off.
- Is this just for students? Anyone can come who wants to use their skills to further Jesus' kingdom around the world! We are specifically holding this event over Spring Break so that university students can come, since weekend events are harder for students, but the event is not limited to students. Come join us!
- What About CoVID-19? We recognize that changes to Code-a-Thon 2021 may be necessary depending on what the status of the pandemic is at that time, and depending on what changes universities make to their spring semester schedules, and so we ask you to be flexible. Assuming we do hold an in-person event, we'll be paying particularly close attention to state health orders and safe practices.
More Opportunities at LightSys...
Interested in information about Code-a-Thon as well as about internships, our gap year program, full-time work with LightSys, volunteering, helping to review project proposals and mentor participants, or other ways of helping in missions with LightSys? Help us start to get to know you at: http://LightSys.org/start.
Or, check out more ways you can get involved!